Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Kinda Sorta Gestational Diabetes

How, can I have Kinda Sorta Gestational Diabetes you ask?  Yeah, I don't know either. 

It all started two Fridays ago.....  It was my first day of being a part time stay at home mom (SAHM) and it was my first opportunity to take my one hour glucose test.  I go in, book in hand, drink the nasty lemon-lime drink, and sat around for an hour people watching before getting my blood drawn. 

Tuesday of last week I get a call.  YOU FAILED!  Blah!  Well, a lot of people fail that test so off I went to get the 3 hour tolerance test on Wednesday.
I'll miss you cake :(

Oh so much fun, let me tell you.  I get in to the doctors at 7:30 a.m. because I wanted to be there at opening since you can't eat before the test.  They take some blood.  I sit while they analyze the blood.  (If that first number is too high they just call it and say you have gestational diabetes.  If it's not too high, they make you finish the test.  Oh joy, mine wasn't too high.)  I drink some even nastier drink.  Sit for an hour, they take my blood.  Sit for another hour, they take my blood.  Sit for one more hour and, you guessed it, they take my blood.  At this point I'm done.  It's 11:30 and I'm starving.  I'm also very thankful I've managed to not vomit since that last hour was a little touch and go.

I didn't hear anything the rest of the week.  I figured no news was good news; but, just to be safe, I thought I'd call for my results yesterday.  My reward for taking the tests?  I get to see a nutritionist at the diabetes info place!  Huzzah!


If I pulled high numbers all the way around, I'd totally get it.  What doesn't make sense is that I pulled only one high number out of all four draws but it wasn't even too high.  They like the numbers below 170 and I think mine was a 163.  So, I didn't even have the numbers for gestational diabetes, I was just somewhat border line.  

I'm assuming they are just trying to be safe though.  My family has a history of diabetes.  Also, Emmaline was measuring 2-3 weeks ahead already at my 21/22 week ultrasound and gestational diabetes babies are usually bigger.  I think they are just trying to be safe and of course I'll do whatever it takes to make sure I don't have a gigantor baby who goes into sugar shock; but, I can still be bitter can't I?

So today I get to meet with a nice person at the diabetes clinic who will undoubtedly make me limit all of my favorite foods.  I'm just hoping I don't starve to death since I'm a picky eater to begin with.  I'm not quite clear what all we're doing today; but, apparently I have another appointment next week as well.  I'm thankful I have only 10 weeks left (probably less since she's so big) and I'm sure I can stick with the diet and exercise.

On the plus side, it's been really important to me to change my eating habits after Emmaline is born so that I set a good example since girls are so inclined to end up with body image issues and now I can get a head start on that.  It also means I might get another ultrasound since I'm considered high risk now and they'll want to make sure she isn't getting too big.

Now, I just need to pray that I don't end up with a c-section or an induced birth; two common fates of gestational diabetes moms.  I really want my non-medicated, vaginal birth. 

No comments:

Post a Comment