Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Book 5: Flapper by Joshua Zeitz

5.
Flapper by Joshua Zeitz

I love me some history.  Well, usually.  I'm fond of books about America's history (especially where it pertains to ladies) and the history of the countries of my forefathers and mothers.  I also really like to learn.  Like a lot.  Like, I've considered taking junior college classes just so I can keep learning.  Like, when I was little my life plan was to go to school for a job, do that job, and then start all over.  Luckily, my mom talked me out of that expensive, job-history-ruining goal.

So, when my beloved Borders went out of business and had their mega closeout sales, I snagged this book.  I've always been intrigued by the twenties.  Even before I knew my great-grandfather was a bootlegger.  I also appreciate the fashions because it was a good time for small chested girls like me.  So, when the hubby picked this book out for me, I had to read it.
**Note:  So I can't remember if I've said this before or not, but we have so many books and it's so hard for me to choose what to read next that I have my husband pick them out for me.  I alternate between fiction and nonfiction most of the time.  It's just too hard for me to choose.


Subject wise, I enjoyed this book.  I enjoyed reading about the origin of the flapper and especially loved the way Mr. Zeitz worked in F. Scott and Zelda Fitzgerald and their impact on the flapper craze.  I felt like I learned a lot about the fashion, motives behind the movement, and the way the movement changed society.

On the other hand, I did feel like the book skipped around a lot.  One chapter you're talking about advertising, the next about Coco Chanel, and the next about suffrage.  That was a little frustrating and would have been frustrating to me if the book hadn't been such an easy and comfortable read.  

Luckily, it was an easy read and it didn't feel like I was reading a history book which is such a lovely feeling.  I also appreciated that it had pictures.  Not in some illiterate, I only like Skippy Jon Jones way, but rather in a one picture per chapter adds a nice effect way.     

Overall, I'd give the book a 6/10.  I hadn't really anticipated reading about Coco Chanel or actresses when I picked up the book and I didn't like the hopping around; but, I'm guessing it's hard to write a book just about flappers.     

Honestly, although I learned a lot, I wouldn't recommend it unless you are very much into flappers and want to learn about all of their impacts.  It's a nice and easy read; but, I don't think a person would be interested in it unless they were really interested in this time period. 

No comments:

Post a Comment