Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Book 6: Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

Let me just start by saying, I am so excited to see The Hunger Games this weekend.  I am so thankful it's coming out this month while I'm still baking little Emmaline as I know it'll be nearly impossible to see movies once she pops out . (I'm praying she stays in until after I can see The Avengers and Dark Shadows too!) 

The more I've read, the more excited I've been about the casting choices.  With the exception of Peeta, that actor doesn't fit.  I also LOVE the idea of Lenny Kravitz as Cinna.  Yes, Cinna is supposed to be younger; but, something just feels right about that casting to me.  Hubby loves the casting of President Snow too.

Anyway, since it was time for another fiction book per my alternating rules, I jumped at the chance to read the second book in the trilogy.

6.
Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

Going into this book I was really interested to see how the story was going to proceed from the end of The Hunger Games.  I knew Katniss wasn't going to be able to just live her life; but, I had no idea as to what her consequences would be.  In that respect, I really loved the way this book went and the way the story unfolded.

As I read, I did a few happy dances (hubby laughed) and there were a few times my mouth hung open in shock.  I think that's the sign of an excellent book.  I like that I can predict a few of the plot twists; but, definitely not all of them.   

The action is nothing like the first book and I know that would be discouraging for some readers.  I know that I missed some of the action that was played out in The Hunger Games; but, I also know that in a series like that, the first book is usually to suck you in, the second one furthers the plot, and the last one ends in a blaze of glory.  So, I expected it to be a book written to drive the plot.

I also appreciated the character development and the fact that we get to know more about Gayle and Haymitch, as well as the other districts.  I love other cultures (even if they are pretend apparently) so I enjoyed finding out little tidbits about the other 11 districts.  It was fun for me to try to picture where those districts were in relation to the United States. 

I think Ms. Collins did a great job of developing the characters the reader already knew and adding new ones without overshadowing the ones that already existed.  The new characters felt like a natural fit which is no small feat in my opinion.  It all felt very much inline with the first book.

Overall, I'd give this one a 7/10.  I enjoyed it; but, I did miss the action of the first book.  I'm sure book 3 will rate highly as I'm very excited to see how this all turns out.

If you liked the first one, I'd recommend it.  If you didn't like the first one, why are you reading this one?!

No comments:

Post a Comment