Sunday, February 26, 2012

Book 4: Ina May's Guide to Childbirth

This is a bit of a combo post; both personal and book review.  Personal because it's about my (desired) plans for my little one and book review because, well, I'll be reviewing a book.

4.
Ina May's Guide to Childbirth by Ina May Gaskin

Ever since I went through school (I have a B.S. in Child Development) I've wanted to have as natural a birth as possible.  Unfortunately for me, I was born with a heart condition that makes everyone worry and, although I haven't had any problems with it, everyone wants me to give birth in a hospital to make sure I'm safe if something goes wrong.  If I had my way, I'd be giving birth in a birth center.

Despite the fact that for this birth I'm stuck with a hospital I'm hoping to have as natural of a birth as I can still be allowed.  I don't want an epidural, I don't want to be induced, I don't want an episiotomy, and I definitely don't want a cesarean section if at all possible.   To further this goal, I've been lurking forums that highlight natural, unmedicated childbirth.  In doing so, I found out about Ina May's book.

Ina May is a midwife who lives on a commune in Tennessee referred to as The Farm.  Since the 1970's she's worked as midwife to the women on The Farm, as well as women from all over who come to The Farm to give birth.  Ina May works with a team of midwifes and over the years she has collected a truly vast array of knowledge.  She also truly believes in doing what is best for women and she believes in the natural ability of every woman's body. 

The first half of the book is full of stories from women who have given birth on The Farm, or similar locations, and the dates of these stories span the last nearly forty years.  At first I was skeptical about reading all of these stories; but, I found them to be truly inspirational and a joy to read. 

The second half of the book includes information about giving birth, information about the common interventions seen in hospitals, information about VBAC's, information about traditional birthing positions, and many more topics. 

I found the book truly inspiring and a plan to make the hubby read it as well.  I feel empowered to fight for my body, my baby, and what I view to be best for us.  I don't judge women who make choices different from mine, nor do I judge women who have no choice; but, I'm going to advocate for what's best for us.  This book helped me to be ready to do that.

That being said, I may end up needing an intervention, and sure it'll suck, but it won't be the end of the world and my best chance of getting away with no problems is by having a good plan in place.  If this birth goes well, I'm hoping that for my next I can use a local birthing center which would be ideal.

If you already have a proclivity towards having a natural childbirth I would highly recommend reading this book.  If your wife wants to have a natural childbirth, you should read this book.  If you're interested in learning about how the medical model and the midwifery model vary I'd recommend reading this book.  The only time I'd say don't read it is if you have your heart SET on an epidural or a similar medical intervention.  This book might scare you which is never productive for labor.  Otherwise, please read this!

P.S. If anyone has any questions about my choices, feel free to post them in the comments.  I would be happy to answer any questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment