Thursday, February 16, 2012

Trying this Book thing Again

Last year I was adamant that I would do a whole bunch of amazing posts about the books I was reading.  Yeah, well, I kind of sucked at it didn't I now?  Yes, yes I did.  You don't even need to answer.  Let me recognize my failings ;)

This year (yes, I know it's already mid-February) I'm determined to make up for it.  Or at the very least, make more posts than I did last year. 

My goal is still to read 50 books this year.  I didn't meet that goal last year, what with moving, and then being super tired once I got pregnant.  This year, I'm sure it'll be even harder since I'll have an infant for most of the year, and yet, I'm stubborn as all get out and I'm determined to not fail. 

Without further ado, check out reviews for books 1-3

I'm going to lump books 1 & 2 together since they are both Harry Potter books.
1. Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling
2. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling
     10/10
    Yup, you saw that right.  I love the Harry Potter books I am willing to look past any problems there might be in writing, grammar, or illustrations.  The books are amazing. 
    I still vividly remember when the second book came out.  I was in sixth grade and one day I ate lunch as fast as I could so that I would make it to the school library before anyone else so that I could be the very first person to check out the book.  The race was on between my childhood friend and I.
    At that time, the books were still being released in the United Kingdom before being released in the United States and my librarian had gone so far as to have ordered the books from across the pond so that we could have it as soon as possible.
    My friend and I made it at the same time; but, luckily, our librarian had ordered two copies.  I'd hate to see what level of sixth grade crazy we would have reached if one of us hadn't been given access to the books ;) 
   After that, I got every single one of the books the day it was released and I was even known to be at a Borders (R.I.P.) at midnight right along with the middle aged crazies and bouncing prepubescent boys who were stoked to up so late (whose parents were just stoked their kid wanted to read). 
   I don't feel the need to comment on the last two books personally much.  I was impressed with the end despite doing a fair amount of crying. I might have thrown a book across the room when Dumbledore died...  I really think these books will stand the test of time.
   I miss having them around; but I love that I'm a part of Pottermore and have been able to learn new things through those interactions.  Oh, and according to the sorting hat, I'm RAVENCLAW all the way.
   Of course I recommend all of the Harry Potter books.

3.
The Island Beneath the Sea by Isabel Allende
7/10
   This book was kind of a mixed bag for me.  In a nut shell, it tells the tale of a woman who is born into slavery and becomes free as an adult as it intertwines her life with the people around her.  That's the plot in the simplest of forms; however, the book is more complex.  This story unfolds against the backdrop of the rebellion in Haiti in the late 1700's and continues on in New Orleans during the time when the fledgeling colony was playing musical governments.  
   I think I valued the book for its telling of history more than anything.  I love New Orleans and have read history books and I thoroughly enjoyed seeing things I know in a work of fiction.  It felt very genuine.  The story itself didn't thrill me or draw me in, it was the history that did it.   
   I'd absolutely recommend it if you're into that time in history.  If not, I'd probably skip it.  The story isn't amazing enough to make up for a lack of interest in that time period.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment