Monday, May 9, 2011

Books 6-12

So, it's not like anyone has noticed, but I haven't done a book blog post in quite some time.  Oops.  I promised to do one for every five books I've read, unfortunately I haven't.  I've read more than 5 books; but, it kind of got daunting having to do a review for 5 books.  I have now decided to do one for every book I read.  I haven't read as fast this year so it's not like it would be ten a week or something crazy, so that's what it'll be from now on.  Now carry on for reviews for books 6-12. 

6. A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court - Mark Twain

 2.5/5 Meh.  That pretty much sums up my feelings towards this book.  I didn't particularly like it, but nor did I dislike it.  Hence the meh.  It's the story of a man from the 1800's who is transported back in time to the time of King Arthur.  He doesn't know how he got there or how he could possibly get back.  I appreciated it for its different take on the old Arthurian legend; however, it didn't have that same spark that say, Tom Sawyer or Huckleberry Finn have.  Should you read it?  Yeah, it's a classic and you should at least read something by Mark Twain.  Will you like it?  Maybe, maybe not.  It'll probably just be meh.

7. Angela's Ashes - Frank McCourt

5/5  I loved, adored, hearted, and fell in love with this book.  It's been a classic for many years now; but, I only just got around to reading it.  It's about a boy who was born in the United States to Irish immigrants; however, when the family falls on hard times they have to move back to Ireland to get on their feet.  It is an excellent book.  It's full of heart, honesty (it's nonfiction), and highlights an important time in the history of Ireland.  Now, I'm probably more attached to this book than some others might be based on my heritage and the connection to Ireland I've discussed in previous posts.  But, I'd ask that anyone read this book.  It's written extraordinarily well and tells a heart wrenching story that is amazing to read. 

8.  The Chinatown Death Cloud Peril - Paul Malmont

 4/5  Another very good book.  I was on a roll with the good reading.  This book centers around the old pulp novels of the depression era.  The main characters are all pulp writers (including a pre-Scientology L. Ron Hubbard) and the plot itself definitely takes its roots from the old school mysteries you would see in the pulps.  This book kept me guessing and was amusing without being campy.  Still more amazing was the fact that it was written by a first time writer.  The hubby loved it too and we're looking forward to Malmont's next book.  Also, we're desperately trying to find and read the books of the main characters.  The characters of the book are all based off real authors and I look forward to reading their work.

9. Cary Grant - Marc Eliot

3.5/5 I have been a sucker for old school Hollywood since as long as I can remember.  Ever since I saw Gone With the Wind for the very first time in elementary school, it would seem.  I also went through a James Dean phase and continue to be in love with Elizabeth Taylor.  Another one of my favorites has been Cary Grant.  He was quite the handsome fella wasn't he?  This is a biography, not an autobiography, so of course I take it with a grain of salt.  Nevertheless, I found it to be a really interesting read, especially the discussions of the old Hollywood contract system where the actors could only work for one studio unless the bosses decided to lend them out.  Grant was one of the first actors to break free from that system.  Fascinating? Yes.  Most read? No.

10. Dragon Rider - Cornelia Funke

 4/5  I know what you're thinking, this sounds a lot like How to Train Your Dragon.  You're kind of right, but it's a lot more than that.  It's about a dragon trying to save his race and the help he receives on the way.  It's also unique in that it takes place in the modern era.  So picture our world, these days, with a number of other mythical beasts as well.  I think it would make a great book for parents to read to their children a little bit at a time, or a great book to for a young reader to check out.  It was a sweet tale with a theme of love and friendship, and I would recommend it. 

11. I am America - Stephen Colbert
 
4.5/5  Super quick read.  Super hilarious read.  Super awesome read?  Um, yes. I laughed out loud at this book a number of times.  It was not politically correct at all; but, neither is the Colbert Report sometime.  You also need to remember that this book was written with comedy in mind and it's point is to be hilarious and a mockery of all the crazy Fox News programs.  It's not a serious book, but if you're looking for a big of light and hilarious reading, look into it.   

12. I am Charlotte Simmons - Tom Wolfe

 4.5/5  Excellent!  (But still not Angela's Ashes.)  I really didn't know much about this book before I started reading it and didn't really have any expectations.  I was pleasantly surprised though.  It takes place at the fictional Dupont College (an equivalent to an ivy league) and centers around a college freshman from the middle-of-nowhere, Carolinas.  Charlotte, the naive country girl, goes to college with the goal of being the most amazing student; but, a small town high school is different from a college campus and it quickly shows.  The story of Charlotte is intermingled with the lives of three male seniors on campus and you pick your favorite almost right away.  I really enjoyed it.  And, a definite plus, I had to look up words!  That always makes me excited.  I like new words a lot!

Anywho, if you managed to sit through all of these reviews, more power to you.  My hope is that with the next one I can be a lot more thorough with my reviews being that I'll be only focusing on one at a time and I won't have to recall books that I've read months before. 

Next up: Under the Black Flag by David Cordingly

No comments:

Post a Comment