Monday, February 14, 2011

A Real Life Love Story

My husband and I have only been together two years and three months.  Now, that may not seem like a long time; but, when you begin to hear the rest of the story, it starts to make sense.



In October 2006, we met at a mutual friend's Halloween party.  I was a 50's housewife and he was an army man.  We tipsily talked about a mutual respect for the band Rammstein and the fact that I'm so short and he's so tall (5'2.5 vs. 6'3).  After the party he found me on facebook and added me as a friend.  We immediately started talking online, very late at night, and ended up talking on the phone for a few hours.

In December of 2006, we went on our first day for his birthday.  Although we had a lot in common, it didn't go so great from my point of view.  He was really nervous and it was obvious.  Also, he may or may not have overstayed his welcome at my house after our date.


Pretty much all of 2007 was spent having incredible conversations online.  We had amazing conversations and we had clearly become great friends, however we never hung out.  That was all my doing.  I figured he liked me and wasn't quite ready for him yet.

Starting in 2008 we started to hang out as friends again.  Including a friend date to dinner and one of his favorite movies, Trainspotting.  Unfortunately, he forgot that a dead baby scene probably isn't the best thing to show a Child Development major.  It set him back a bit me thinks.  Although, that evening did involve standing on his shoulder and breaking into my apartment, that's a story for another post.

There was another incident where he looked like a stalker, but again, that can be another post.  At this point I was beginning to think that if we ever got to the point where we actually dated, I would probably marry him.  We had that much in common.

In September 2008, my laptop broke and he fixed it.  We started hanging out more and more.  Including watching a ton of REALLY bad horror movies.  Soon I was spending the night in a completely platonic way.  Not even a kiss.

In October 2008, my mom was renting a beach house and my whole family (aunts, uncles, cousins, gma) were all invited.  Partially joking, my mom said to invite him and I did.  This crazy boy liked me enough to come and brave meeting the whole family of a girl he wasn't actually dating yet.

On the way home from that trip, we started holding hands.  Within a few day I "womaned" up and kissed him.  By November 1st, 2008 we were a couple.

August 2009 we were living together.  Officially that is.  Unfortunately, before that his roomie was probably going crazy since I was essentially living there.

October 10, 2009 we were engaged.

And on October 30th 2010 we were MARRIED!!




It might be just over 2 years officially.  But to us, it's been a lot longer.  In those 2 years, we've been to Ireland, the Bahamas, & New Orleans.  We've adopted a dog, rented our first house (not apartment), made new friends, learned to cook new things, and made a really amazing life.  I CANNOT WAIT to see what the next 50+ years looks like for us.

Happy Valentine's Day everyone!  Be jealous of the super fly puppy temporary tattoo I am rocking in honor of the holiday.  It was a gift from a 2 year old.  Don't judge :)

No comments:

Post a Comment