Saturday, February 12, 2011

Household Work

When I was a super fly preschooler, I spent every afternoon with my grandma.  My grandma is an amazing person and easily one of my favorite people in my life.  Because I spent so much time with my grandma I've inherited a lot of traits from her.

1.  I don't leave the house without makeup

2. I love looking at houses.  (We always used to look at model homes together.)

3.  I aspire to have a beautifully clean house just like hers.  Seriously, my grandma's house might be 18 years old, and it might have white carpet; but, it's still completely SPOTLESS!

Unfortunately, I work 40 hours a week and don't have time to keep my house looking like a model home.  Sometimes I'm lucky if it looks like a home at all.  But, whenever I know I'm having people over I furiously clean my house because I want it looking perfect.


So, this Friday when we scheduled to play a rousing Jeopardy drinking game, it was time to get the house in order.  (I kicked ass by the way)  I cleaned this house like a maniac and it looks gorgeous. 

Then, we decided to redo the backyard as well.  Even though we're renting, I still like things to look nice and we're redoing the backyard to add some grass and replace the weeds and non-flowering roses.  Today I pulled weeds, raked, leveled ground, and bought bags of steer manure.  It might be a little gross and it might take a lot of effort; but, the difference in the way the yard looks makes it completely worth it.

There is something about doing manual labor for the house that is so fulfilling.  It's about bettering my house.  It's about taking pride in where I live.  It's about getting some exercise in without even realizing it.  I feel so accomplished and I love how well I sleep after getting a lot done.

The best part?  I did it all with makeup because even though I was in the backyard, I was still outside.  Grandma would be so proud.

2 comments:

  1. HA! My minimum is eyeliner when when I am just inside all day...oh, and foundation under my eyes otherwise I look semi like a raccoon...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! I never used to really clean the house (I went for more of a just don't ever mess anything up style,) but now I'm addicted to the satisfaction that comes at the end. Everything all sparkling and smelling good. Love it!

    ReplyDelete