Saturday, April 9, 2011

Adventures

Something I love: Getting dressed up and looking pretty.

Something I dislike: Getting dressed up for just a few hours and then having to change because I have nothing left to do.

Let me just say, I don't dress up often.  I'm a jeans and t-shirt kind of girl.  Or, at most, a dress with some leggings and knee high boots kind of girl.  It's due to my job mainly.  Can't be flashing any bits to the kids.  Can't be having them lifting my dress and getting scarred for life.  Can't have the boobs in people faces.  Etc. etc.  You know, the usual.




Well today, one of my coworkers had her bridal shower and I feel the need to look like a nice human on those days when I do need to go somewhere.  Kind of as proof that I do clean up nice. 
 Anyway, I threw on a dress, wedges (that I LOVE), makeup and some nail polish in less than 30 minutes and headed out the door. 

I'm not a big fan of wedding showers to begin with.  I suck at small talk most of the time and meeting a boatload of new people at the same time is like brain overload for me.  That said, I won both the games.  I know, be jealous.  Not only did I know the bride the best, I also was nominated to don a toilet paper wedding dress and mine happened to be the most beautiful.  If only I had worn that on my wedding day!

Unfortunately, I only got to be dolled up for a few hours because the shower was done by 3ish this afternoon.  At which point I came home to my hubby who was playing video games and had hardly moved since I had left him four hours before.  I wanted to do something, or rather, anything that allowed me to continue to look extra pretty. 

We decided to go to the thrift store!  Logical choice I know.  I heart thrift stores.  I love tchotchkes.  I love old dresses that are so ugly they are awesome.  I like treasures. 

And we did get some treasures.  With a total of three thrift stores hit, we walked away with.
2 books
1 dress
1 Nightmare Before Christmas thermos for the hubby.  (I had to talk him into getting it.  It was only 50 cents and it'll go well with his Nightmare lunchbox, tattoo, blanket, t-shirt, and sweatshirt.  He wanted to know when he'd ever use it and I informed him that when I'm a stay at home mom I will put soup in it.)
2 Babysitter Club books (These were my favorite as a kid.  I painstakingly collected most of the babysitter books and the Boxcar Children books.  Then my mom gave them to my little cousins in the hopes that they would read like I do.  They don't.  The books are MIA :(  )
Lastly (no judgments allowed) a onesie and a giraffe baby bathrobe.  (No, I'm not pregnant yet.  However, if I see cute baby clothes, I buy them.  I know that we will have children in the near future and every so often I pick up a little something something for the future spawn.  We also attempted to get a classic pooh* comforter we found, but it was priced at $12 and the woman thought that was too much without the rest of the bedding.  So she's keeping it until Monday when she can ask her supervisors where the rest is, or if she can lower the price.)


*This is the Pooh I speak of.  The super fly, nude Pooh.  Not the PC red shirted Pooh.  Ever since we read the original stories, hubby and I have loved him and I've always wanted a nursery themed in vintage Pooh.  Unfortunately, Target discontinued the bedding, so when I see it I snatch it up.

Overall, it was quite the successful trip.  We even got a map from one of the stores listing all the Thrift Stores in town.  Yes, I might have looked silly in my snazzy outfit; but, at least I looked good along with crazy :)

I'm 23, almost 24, and I still like to play dress-up.  SO THERE!

2 comments:

  1. I'm with you on the dressing bit! I feel like there's no point in getting dressed up, since I usually end up with paint on my pants. And if I wear something soft or fuzzy, I have to put up with little hands stroking me all day. So I err on the side of jeans and t-shirts as well.

    Glad you had fun at the thrift store! this made me giggle out loud: "I love old dresses that are so ugly they are awesome." I love ANYTHING that's so ugly it's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE dressing up when I can....which is almost never...sad day.

    Otherwise I like being comfortable. Not a big girly-girl with super fly "in"clothing nor brand name...anything. But every once in awhile, dressing up just feels, nice!

    ReplyDelete