Sunday, March 13, 2011

Oh Hey Willpower, I Didn't Know I Had You in Me!

I have completely defeated the sweets so far!  Before this little adventure, I had assumed that I didn't have willpower.  That perhaps I just didn't have it in me to ditch the sweets.  But, I so, totally, do!  I rock!

Granted it has only been 5 days so far; but, rumor has it that the first 10 days are supposed to be the worst.  I've also learned a bit since this little diet change started.



1)  I don't actually have the sweet tooth I thought I did.  I'm just a glutton who eats sweets instead of healthy food.  Haha.  So, since I know that I don't really need sweets I think I'm going to start censoring the amount I eat when this is done.  Maybe just pick one really good sweet a week, or maybe even every other week.  I don't need it.  It's not good for me.  So why eat it?

 2) I've also learned when I crave sweets and what causes my desire to eat them.  I like sweets right after the kid's have nap time at work.  It's the low point of my day.  I sit there knowing I still have 2 and a half more hours of sitting outside watching the kids leave one by one.  So, I'm substituting those gummy worms or cookies with an orange (or another fruit) and some cocoa roasted almonds (a new food that I've convinced myself to like).  I also notice that when I'm super happy or sad I also crave sweets.  For those times, I've just told myself "no" and walked away.  Will power FTW!

3) This one's just a side affect; but, I've started to use Spark People to keep track of the other stuff I'm eating.  I just figured that I might as well carry this healthy eating one step further and check out the other stuff I eat.  Turns out I consume way too much sodium.  So I'm working hard on cutting that out because water weight is NOT my friend, and I hold onto it way too easily.

What is the moral of this story you ask: It's that if I can do it, you can too.  It feels great to eat healthy.  Do I miss my sweets? Absofuckinglutely; however, it's going to be just as nice to eat them every other week or so when my 40 days are up. 

Now, it's time to get ready for my run (because I'm starting that up again) and I hope anyone who reads this had a lovely weekend!

1 comment:

  1. 5 days is a great start! You should be proud of yourself!

    ReplyDelete